What Do You Need to Know to Turn A Dirty Electric Blanket into A Fresh One?
For many people, a product that is equipped with heating elements is a boon on those cold nights, and one of them is an electric blanket. Because cleaning a throw or electric blanket may seem like a risky challenge due to the wiring throughout it, so once you realize your electric blanket that is used after a long time or stored in the back of your closet becomes an old musty smell, you are worried about the cleaning process. At that time, the only question in your mind is probably how to wash electric blankets without ruining them. Luckily, the fact is that all heated mattress pads and electric blankets are designed for machine washing and drying and here is everything you need to know to have a blanket as fresh and clean as it is warm.
Many of you may not know that there are two types of electric blanket including under blanket and over the blanket, which could be safely washed and dried by a standard residential washer and dryer. Nevertheless, they should not be handled like the ordinary blankets. You should keep your mind on washing them gently and follow these guidelines.
– It is said that dry cleaning is more harmful than washing the electric blankets because the chemicals used in the dry-cleaning process and commercial dryers can damage the wire insulation and the wiring as well. Thus, the first rule is that the electric blanket should never be dry cleaned.
– The second mistake in using that is ironing the electric blankets. In normal, you tend to use a clothes iron to provide press clothes to remove creases if they are wrinkled. But instead of that, you should hang your electric blanket from a shower, then hand smoothly and make it out the wrinkles. This aims to avoid damage to the wire’s insulation by the flat iron’s heat.
– Lastly, don’t use bleach and other sprays on your electric blanket. Be careful with your pets or any animal who might chew the wire insulation.
Read more: How to clean your pillow
5 Steps Wash Electric Blankets With Machine Washing:
- Unplug the blanket’s electric cord and then disconnect the power cord and the control unit. Make sure that the cords are disconnected, and they are also not damaged as well because of the useless if they submerged in water
- Check the both sides of the blanket and shake it vigorously to get rid of lint, pet hair and dirt as much as possible.
- Place the product in the washing machine and use a small amount of a mild washing detergent. Then, set the washer to a gentle and brief cycle. If the size of your electric blanket is bigger than the machine, you should change a big one with the large capacity of even hand washing the blanket.
- After several minutes of washing, stop the machine and forward it to the rinse cycle briefly just in one minute with cool water. If possible, reduce the machine to low with the aim to prevent excessive force on the blanket.
- As the washing process comes to an end, it is better to allow the electric blanket to air dry. Otherwise, if you have no time and want to use a dryer, you should set a cool temperature of your device as well as partially dry the blanket until it is damp dry.
Surely, when the blanket is completely dry, you can return it to the bed and plug it back in for use.
8 Steps Wash Electric Blankets With Hand Washing:
If you want to wash by hand when your electric blankets’ power cord is not allowed to remove. It is important to clean the product gently and carefully.
- First, unplug and disconnect the cord from the blanket as mentioned above.
- Examine the blanket closely to look for any damaged area.
- Prepare a wash tub and fill it with enough warm water. This will help the blanket move freely as well as allowing a large space in which you can work.
- Pour a small amount of mild laundry detergent into the tub and swish the detergent around to make suds by your hand. Then, place the blanket into the water and soak for a few minutes (at least 15 minutes).
- Next, squeeze or agitate the blanket in the water in order to remove the stains or dirt and clean it. By walking up and down on the blanket, you can also achieve the same result.
- Drain the soapy water and make the excess water out of the blanket as much as possible.
- Rinse at least two times and more if the electric blanket still remains a lot of soap.
- Dry the blanket safely by hanging it on a clothesline or even putting it on a hedge.
When the electric blankets are clean and completely dry, you can plug it into the power outlet for use or roll it gently and store in a dry area. It is better if you place the cords and the whole blanket in a plastic bag to prevent dust and mouse.
If you are considering buying an electric blanket and worried about the process of washing and cleaning. However, it is actually not that hard as you’re thinking. With a blanket full of dog and cat hair, if you follow step by step and wash it carefully, all trouble will be handled easily and quickly. Besides that applying right knowledge and suitable method, you will also get the great way to freshen your electric blanket while protecting your investment.
As mentioned above, all the electric blankets are machine washable, but you should choose the famous ones to ensure good quality as well as warranty policy. Sunbeam Microplush Electric Heated Throw Blanket Royal Blue and Sunbeam Heated Electric Blanket Royal Dreams Quilted Fleece Twin Mushroom are two high-quality product names we support for you. We hope you could purchase the best one for yourself and enjoy your life with the warm electric blankets in the next cold winter.